Scandinavia Cruise 2005: Helsinki, Finland (#4 of 10)
Within sixty seconds we've been given three options for getting the "Hell" out of Helsinki, and the Finnish people have been insulted at least five times. Then the stairs in Senate Square are too much of a temptation for Scott, who becomes a Rocky-wannabe. Scenes from around town are interspersed with hilarious external video from Finnish Tourism Board and Monty Python's Spamalot. Before you know it, the Helsinki chapter of the trip video is over.
- Once again, no fancy editing tricks were used in this chapter. Skills required: capture a YouTube video and import into your editing program; simple titles; apply background music; simple cuts and fades.
- The Fish Schlapping Song provided perfect background music for the second half of this chapter. Earlier scenes are enhanced by choir music that was actually captured in-camera at the church seen at 0min52sec.
- The Spamalot video was captured by someone in the audience who posted it on YouTube. I'm sure Monty Python cares about copyright violations. VisitFinland.com probably doesn't mind that I used their video, but I didn't ask. (View my disclaimer about copyright at the bottom of the page.)
- Did you notice that this chapter was 4-1/2 minutes long? Probably not. It's entertaining and well paced. And the Queen of England makes an unexpected appearance to end the show. (I'm getting a lot of mileage from that "wave the hand" gag!)
- A well-edited and fun vacation video helps to guarantee that you won't have a restless audience. We have a friend who asks for a blanket as her eyelids droop ... that didn't happen with this one!
- Even though this chapter is well-paced and fun, a couple of gags don't work (i.e. the "sardines" and maybe the "hanging suitcoats". Once again, that honest friend who's not afraid to tell you what to cut is extremely valuable.
- Obviously my videos are not a rigorous look at all the good things a country has to offer. Take a look at The Official Travel Guide of Finland — VisitFinland.com for a sampling of beautiful images, videos, and vacation ideas.
All of the Scandinavia trip chapters have already been loaded onto YouTube. Individual chapters may be viewed on one of my YouTube channels: HENBCtravel
The combined 30-minute video is also available here.
Next up: The medieval city of Talinn, Estonia
This original audience for this video was friends and family who would view the DVD in my living room. It contains identifiable music and commercial video that is regrettably used without permission.
Today, with digital distribution, artists' rights deserve more attention. Since this video is intended for non-profit illustration and educational purposes only, I believe that valid arguments can be made for its "Fair Use" in this situation. Please understand that I do not encourage improper use of copyrighted material.